Ongoing photographic project
While the Internet can seem like a place disconnected from the physical world, much of the activity that occurs there deeply affects how people feel outside of it. In the age of social media, where selfhood is effaced by self-promotion, and the glorification of digital beauty undermines the truthfulness of real self-expression, women very often become dissatisfied with what they see in the mirror. Modern technology provides women with tools that allow them to quickly create dream digital images of themselves. Using various beauty applications, they can smooth, contour their faces, whiten their teeth, add a few centimeters of height, enlarge their eyes, choose different mouths, and use many other options.
In the „Body Editor” series, Ewa Doroszenko tries to challenge our trust of digitally constructed imagery in the context of the post-photographic era. The project was inspired by the failures and bugs in the popular beauty apps, where unnatural bodies get distorted. Doroszenko used photography as a starting point, alongside digital tools to create an expressive project that is both a critique and a celebration of the ongoing progress in contemporary technology and culture.
Doroszenko employed many methods of creating images: preparing three-dimensional collages constructed from stock images and her own portraits, photographing the scenes, printing in large sizes, physically manipulating prints, and digitally editing selected photos. In the final work, Doroszenko left visible traces of digital processing, partly revealing her working methods in order to provoke discussion about digital beauty. Digitally edited images can serve as aspirational fantasies and occasionally they even can have a positive impact – when they are just effects of joyful entertainment. But can the game in which your body is a battleground be truly enjoyable? The phrase from Barbara Kruger’s iconic work has just as much resonance today as it did more than a quarter of a century ago.
The Body Editor project has been awarded in many international photographic competitions, among others Inaugural Der Greif – Organization for Contemporary Photography and the World Photography Organisation open call and Debut 2018 / Lithuanian Photographers Association.
- Ewa Doroszenko, Body Editor, L’heliotrope
- Ewa Doroszenko – Artist Feature, Der Greif
- Magdalena Żołędź, Coś więcej niż fotografia, Postmedium
- Body Editor by Ewa Doroszenko, World Photography Organisation
- Interview – A beautiful glitch, Anna Bonita Evans, World Photography Organisation
- Ewa Doroszenko, Body Editor, The Vanderlove Letter
- Tora Baker, Paintings by Ewa Doroszenko that show how selfies can go wrong using photo-enhancing apps, Creative Boom
- Ewa Doroszenko Body Editor, Propaganda
- Ewa Doroszenko – Body Editor, L’Œil de la Photographie
- Interview – Ewa Doroszenko, CTypeMag
- Ewa Doroszenko – Body Editor, FILE
- Body Editor, ANYONEGIRL Journal
- Weekend Portfolio: Ewa Doroszenko, Musée Magazine